Thursday, May 22, 2014

Farm Tours and Goodbye!



7am is just a normal time of day for me now!  We left bright and early this morning for our Farm Tour day.  I was excited because this would give me another opportunity to see the island for the last time.  I learned SO MUCH today and actually had a lot of fun learning about the agriculture.

Our first stop was at this farm called GrowGuam.  It’s owned by a guy from Australia, and the goal of this farm is to try and grow lettuce and tomatoes hydroponically. Hydroponics is growing things without soil. It’s so hot here and these have a hard time growing! Lettuce on Guam sells for $6 a pound! I was blown away when I heard that!  It was definitely the nicest farm we visited.  The other funny part of GrowGuam, is that they owner also owns a skydive company.  So next to the farm is the landing pad… it was the MOST random combination of things I’d ever seen! But I couldn’t help but think that this would be the perfect place for Grandma Karen and Grandpa Doug… gardening and skydiving in the same place! All they need is motorcycles!

 They grow lettuce in plastic tubes! It's weird but it works!

 We were in the middle of our tour, when we heard this little screech! A bunch of skydivers were landing!
 So funny and so random!

Look at how MASSIVE those tomato vines are!
 
The second stop was at the Guam Department of Agriculture Organic Farm.  One of the most interesting things I saw right away, was that they use shredded paper for mulch. It looked so odd, but is a great idea!  This was probably the most beautiful place we went. They had ALL kinds of fruit trees and plants, the only way I could describe it would be something close to the Garden of Eden. Things aren’t really planted in rows, it’s not like an orchard.  Western SARE has funded a lot of the research they’ve done here.

 Just a little shredded paper mulch...

 It ain't pretty (to me), but the plants like it!

 This doesn't even scratch the surface of what we saw, but know it was amazing!

The third stop was at a 30 acre banana farm.  The farmer’s name is Bernard Watson. He is a character!  He also grow watermelons on his farm and they picked on and cut it open—it was the best watermelon I’ve ever had in my life!  We also got to eat as many bananas as we wanted.  It’s so hard again for me sink in the reality of these beautiful farms we’re visiting… I’ve never seen anything like them. The plants and vegetation are incredible. Western SARE has also helped with funding to do research on bacteria that is killing the trees on his farm.

 Banana trees!

 They had to get on a ladder and lift the power lines to get the bus we were in to fit!

 Left is Bernard the Banana Farmer, and right is Frank Cruz who made my coconut oil sunburn treatment!

 Best watermelon of my life!

The last stop was at the University of Guam Extension Farm.  They are the only place on Guam that sells eggs, and they make bank on it!  They also use a  hydroponic system to grow lettuce, tilapia, and basil.  But the coolest part was that I heard/saw a barking tree frog! 

 You can sort of see the tilapia in the window if you look closely

 Hydroponic Basil- also where I saw a barking frog!

 They have 600 chickens! And I have some pointers for Mom's chicken coop now :)

 Fresh Eggs!

I really believe the Chamorro people are some of the best on the planet. I have had nothing but the best time with them this last week. They are a blend of Philippinos and Latins- literally and culturally! They have such a welcoming and open culture, they treat you like family even if you just met.  As crappy as doing the conference was, I am so grateful for the experiences I’ve had! It’s been wonderful.  However I’m so ready to be with my other half and go to Hawaii!

Oh and the Japanese families here are ADORABLE!!!! They have the cutest kids and they make having kids look like fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment