Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Third Appointment: 19.5 weeks

Wednesday, November 19th @ 11:00am

Well today was the big day! I seriously can't believe how calm I was leading up the appointment. I was definitely excited!!! But not overly consumed and unable to focus at work or anything. I just felt so sure I already knew the gender, and was slightly anxious to know that there were no physical problems with the baby's development. Again, I think being so busy planning this gender reveal party with our families has helped keep my mind stay busy and focused on other things than worrying about things I have no control over. So that's been really nice and I'm really proud of myself!

Before our appointment, I started Googling everything I could about how to have a successful ultrasound and find out a baby's gender. The only consistent things I read were for the mom to have a full bladder, and drink orange juice to make the baby active and moving! You can bet I chugged as much water as I could handle and had one of those little cutie oranges (close enough to OJ right?!). We have this big gender reveal party planned with our family on Saturday, we HAVE to find out today!

Dan picked me up from work right on time, which is a huge indicator that he was really anxious for our appointment! I can never get him to pick me up on time haha! On the way to the hospital, Dan told me that he'd had two confirmations it was a girl this morning. I laughed, rolled my eyes, and said okay what were exactly were these "confirmations"? He said he heard a country song about a dad singing about a little girl, and that when he was donating Plasma- the girl who stuck him with the needle said something about how whatever you think you're having, it's the opposite. I said that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and I knew it was a boy. Dan replied sadly, "Nope it's a girl... it'll be fine." Oh geez!

We checked in at the doctor's office at about 10:52am, a little early for our appointment. We literally sat down for less than 60 seconds and got called back. A cute Weber State radiology student was the one who took us back to the ultrasound room and told us she would be observing the actual radiology tech. They had me lay down straightaway on the table, jellied my belly up and started right into it! I couldn't believe how fast I was on that table and we were seeing the baby! I didn't feel like I was processing what was happening.

Our ultrasound tech was cute, I felt like she took a second to warm up to us, but was great after that. She asked us twice if we were sure we wanted to find out the gender right then in the room and we said we were sure! She asked us if we had any guesses as to what the gender was. I told her I thought it was a boy, and Dan that it was a girl. She asked if we had any bets going. Dan wanted to bet that who ever was right didn't have to do diapers for a year, I said that was way to big of a risk! She just laughed and said okay, we'll see if baby cooperates!

She started by showing us the brain, which was probably the least exciting part of the ultrasound haha! But I guess it's good to know it had a brain! We went through and looked at the heart, the spine, kidneys, stomach, etc. Baby had its hands in its face almost the whole time, but did a great job of having its legs uncrossed! She was showing us the thigh and shin bones, and I was looking like crazy to see if I could see anything else down there! Then out of now where, she was like, "Well you should have bet on the diapers... (little pause) IT'S A BOY!" Dan was in absolute shock I think, and I yelled out, "CALLED IT!"

She tried tapping on baby a few times to get it to move its hands so we could get a shot of its face. It worked once! We were looking at the side profile of the baby, and she said "He's yawning!" Sure enough, baby boy's mouth open slowly like a yawn, paused for a second, and then closed! It was the most amazing thing to see him moving like that in real time, not just a picture! Those 3D ultrasound pictures can be cool, but most of the time, made the baby look really creepy! There was one awesome picture of baby smiling with a little #1 being made with his left hand, that was probably the funnest 3D picture we got. The others, kinda too weird.

They printed out of few of the best pictures, and said they'd get us a CD with the rest of the pictures when we met with the doctor after. We headed back out to the waiting room, I RAN to the bathroom to let all the water out of my bladder I'd been holding in, and then immediately got called back to meet with the doctor! I tell you what, that office is quick!

We met with the doctor, pretty briefly and he said everything looks good! We asked him a few quick questions and were on our way. We went to Tandoori oven afterwards for the buffet lunch- best. thing. ever. Our kids will not be picky eaters, they will like ethnic food if we have anything so say about it!

Dan's big smile in this picture makes me tear up every time I look at it! Proud father of a son! PS- I've always wanted kids with brown eyes... prob not happening eh?

ALL THE FEELINGS

Today was such a good day. I feel extremely humbled to be trusted enough to handle a boy first... I always felt like the mothers who had boys were the strongest, and the idea of having a boy has terrified me my whole life. And I've wanted ALL girls my whole life because motherhood has been extremely daunting for me, give me the girls! However, I feel more reassurance about handling a boy with Dan by my side. DAN IS SO EXCITED! He kept saying, "Please just give me a boy! I have had sisters my whole life and I want a little buddy to do projects with and play football!" But he was sure it was a girl, and that would have been okay too. Seeing Dan so happy and excited makes me feel more and more happy and excited to have a boy.

I am really glad I had a heads up (at least within myself) that this was a boy for quite sometime. I have a nursery theme all picked out which I thought would be impossible for a boy! We even have a few boy names we're going to chew on for the next 20 weeks. So I feel like so far I'm in good shape, I can be a mom to a boy! I can do sports events, bikes, cars, boats.... right?! I told Dan that if our first kid is a boy, we were immediately opening a separate savings account for all the stupid, reckless things this kid would do in its life. Haha! Better head to the bank now!

No comments:

Post a Comment