Friday, March 10, 2017

TWELFTH APPOINTMENT: Week 40

Friday, March 10th- THE DUE DATE! @ 11:30am

Fridays at lunch time the OB office is PACKED! Every time without fail. It's so weird.

We got called back to do our ultrasound first, and it was the same nice man that did it last time which I was really excited about! He did an 8 point test to check all these different things with the baby. He measured his head, belly, and femur (just like last time), check our amniotic fluid level, baby boys heart rate and breathing, and used a little buzzer to make him move. He pass all 8 points of the test with flying colors which was great to hear. And if you can believe it, his head has gotten even bigger! 97%!!! And his belly was measuring in the 94%... so all of that calculated together, meant he is measuring at 9 pound and 7 ounces, and that his size meant he was five days overdue.

We talked to the ultrasound tech about the accuracy of the test and he explained why it's up to a pound off in either direction, which I totally believe. My belly is not big enough to hold almost a 9.5 pound kid!

Our doctor was running pretty behind, and we waited for about 40 minutes to meet with him after the ultrasound. Such is life.

I had a lot of questions about our options and was very interested to see what he would say about this kid being so big. I have NEVER wanted to be induced.... ever. But even more than not wanting to be induced, I really don't want a c-section. Once the doc came in, he asked "so how are you guys feeling about things?" I explained our feelings, and he said well let's check your cervix and see how things are progressing and make some decisions.

He did his routine check and this time I noticed it was a little longer, and much more painful and deep. He said I was dilated to 1.5 and effaced about the same. He then said that he the size of a baby in not a reason to ever induce labor, but the narrowness of my pelvic bones was a concern, especially if I didn't want a c-section. To get to the point, he said it would be better to get this baby here sooner than later and to be induced this weekend. He was on call this weekend so it would work out better with his schedule as well. He also said that our chances are tripled at this point of needing a c-section because of how narrow my pelvis is, but that we still have a good chance of delivering vaginally.

This was a LOT of information to take in, and I was holding back tears the whole time, just because of how quickly my life had changed in 5 minutes. He told us to come in tomorrow night to be induced and that he would not recommend a natural birth and to plan on an epidural.  The pitocin makes your labor contractions really hard, and very uncomfortable, more than normal labor. He said he stripped my membranes and hoped that giving my body 24 hours would help it get things started... WAIT WHAT?! He didn't say a word about stripping membranes, and we had never talked about it... I was slightly bugged he just did it, and almost without telling me at all. He knew how much I didn't want to do any of this, but he was very gracious and said I had done a great job with pregnancy and to let them take care of me from here; to let them use all the tricks they could to help him come they way we wanted. Alright doc, I'll do it.

Knowing when to expect our baby boy to come was absolutely terrifying. And I instantly broke out in tears when our doctor left the room. Dan is SO EXCITED, he has been wanting baby boy to come for days! And I'm a mess. I knew I needed to get back to work as soon as I could to get a bunch of things wrapped up and my mind was going a hundred miles an hour.

Luckily, our sweet sweet friends Becca and Quentin were induced just yesterday and had their baby last night. They let us come see them after our appointment and hold their sweet little girl and tell us that being induced wasn't going to end my life! haha. It was so good to talk to them and just here how everything would probably play out. That was a HUGE blessing as I was trying to wrap my head around the next 48 hours of our lives.

I got back to work for about 2.5 hours, told my boss maternity leave was starting Monday and finished up last minute things. I still had not had time to deal with my emotions and cried for about 3 hours tonight getting out all my fears. It seems ridiculous in some ways that all I wanted was as little assistance as possible having this baby, and I'm upset about getting the exact opposite- when really it's a blessing that there are ways for us to have our giant baby make it through my narrow pelvis.

We have 24 hours until our lives are changed forever, and knowing that is super daunting and weird. What do you do your last 24 hours before never being alone again!? Well I guess Dan and I will find out.

Thank you for all the love, prayers and support. They are so need and so much appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment